This is the table that had been at Savers the week before, but I had passed on it. Melissa insisted that I needed it and since it WAS still there a week later, I decided it was meant to be. After all, it was actual wood (or so I thought...more to come on that) and it was only $6...can't go wrong, right?! You probably can't tell from the picture, but the top is square.
I was anxious to start on this project so facing the 100+ temps in my garage, I began sanding the top. I wanted to take it down to bare wood. After sweating off a good two pounds, this is what I was left with:
Ooops! Apparently, there was a piece of wood veneer over a piece of ply wood, and me, in my overzealous state...I sanded right through it! Crap! I probably could have worked with the other side of the board, but it had holes from screwing it on the base and at this point, I was over it! So, off to Home Depot I go.
I had to find something that was not to pricey to use as a table top! And then, the clouds opened up (okay, so the sky was already blue) and the angels began to sing (okay, it was someone in the lumber department cutting wood) and I spotted these pine "disc" type thingy's. They had three sizes and the middle one was on clearance for $13...sure it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it solved my problem so I didn't care!
I also had a light bulb moment (I'm tellin' you, my mind was busy that day!). I have been wanting to make one of those clock face tables for a long time...they are all over blogland. This was going to work perfectly for that idea. I went home and the first thing I did was go to my new favorite vintage image source, Graphique, and picked out a clock face to use. Since the one I chose had an Eiffel Tower image in the middle, I omitted it because I was going to put clock hands in it's place.
I printed the image out and took it to Fed Ex Office and had it enlarged to fit my tabletop. I then used graphite paper and a pen to put the image on the wood. Then, if you remember my coffee table, you will also remember how I filled in the outlines with a good ol' Sharpie...I did the same thing for this project. I used my new Silhouette to make the clock hands and traced them on the table as well. Stained it, topped it with several coats of Polyurethane and VOILA...the top was finished!
I cleaned the table base with TSP, did a quick, rough sanding and painted over the original wood stain with Valspar's, "Cream in my Coffee" (I loved the color, but I think I loved the name even more). Gave it a quick distressing and it was done!
Whatch'a think? I love how it turned out and can't wait to make another one...just gotta find that perfect table...perhaps a coffee table this time!
Now for all you cookier's out there, here are some that I made for an order last week! Monica not only wanted to send her own kids some cookies to celebrate school starting, but send some to her nieces and nephew's as well...what a nice Aunt! There were three of these boxes, total.
I hope they arrive safely...always my biggest fear when shipping cookies! Thanks, Monica!
Till next time, Happy Baking!
This post linked to:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Primitive and Proper
The CSI Project
My Repurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed
Under the Table and Dreaming
There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!