10.01.2013

Let's silver leaf a dresser,

that would be fun...said NO. PERSON. EVER!

But that was the look Kelli was after for the dresser that was going in her bedroom.  She did some research and found that it really wasn't that hard to do.  I knew about 5 minutes into the project, that whoever said this, was full of sh bull!

This was the look she wanted:

 Photo via Internet

This is the piece that we started with:


I picked it up at an estate sale for $65...smokin' deal!  Go ahead, ask me why I didn't purchase the entire set, since it was so cheap.  Because I am an idiot...I have been kicking myself every since!

Anyhoo, I like to call this the "before, before" pic.  I should also tell you that this piece has been sitting in my garage for about a year and a half...at least!  I don't even remember when I bought it, to be exact.  It first "sat" because she wasn't sure what she wanted to do to it...but when she finally decided, we got to work!

She purchased the silver leaf off of Ebay  (which I should add, is not actual silver leaf...it's sort of "faux" because the real stuff is super expensive).  She  bought one package, which I believe was around 100 sheets (?)...you know where I am going with this, right?!  Not enough...not even close!

We couldn't wait to get started...not too bad for the first couple of sheets...maybe this will be easy.  NOT!  It was so long ago, I don't even have any good pictures of our "work in progress", so you will have to take my word that it was quickly turning out to be a hot mess.  At the same time, we ran out of silver leaf.  So that was where the progress stopped, until she got more sheets of silver leaf...which she did.

But you know how it is when you start a project and it isn't turning out like you expected?  You suddenly lose interest?  That was pretty much where we were...we got more silver leaf, but we had already lost our mojo for this dresser.  So there it sat...in my garage.

Still with me?!

Fast forward...about a year.  I think it took that long for Kelli to realize her "dream dresser" was not going to happen...at least NOT with silver leaf.

I couldn't take it any longer...I was tired of looking at this:


And God knows, my husband was tired of moving it out of the way in the garage, so it was time to get to work.  See the items sitting on the top...yep, it was time to strip...and strip...and strip.  See, I didn't have to get the silver leaf  just off the dresser itself, but off of all nine drawers as well!  Oyyyyy!

But I am happy to say...I am done stripping!  It now looks like this:


Can I get some virtual HIGH FIVES?!

I have never been so happy to see raw wood in all my life!  And what about the drawers, you ask?  I am happy to report they are DONE...not just stripped, but done completely!

You will just have to come back to see it done, though!  I plan to have this baby finished by the end of the week, so you shouldn't  have to wait long!  Thank the Lord for "almost" bearable temps (we are finally out of the triple digits), so that I am able to work out in the garage again!

Till then... 










Photobucket

2 comments:

My Repurposed Life said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oh my gosh! what you gals have been through! YIKES! it's been a real job....poor things!
Live and learn?
so happy you're finally back at it. Is it still going to be Kelli's dresser? ;)

can't wait to see the reveal terri!
gail

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Can't wait to see this bad boy finished!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails